Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Caroline's Reaction


With the temperature at roughly 75ºF, it was not difficult to immediately fall in love with Puerto Rico. Although we had the first day off to enjoy the beach near our hotel and explore the surrounding areas, our group had to get up early to start volunteering Monday morning. We started our volunteer trip washing the ambulances and SUVs at the Red Cross in San Juan. As the week progressed, I realized the tremendous work that the organization did and the number of people they helped. The diversity of the volunteering that we did helped me to learn about Puerto Rico beyond the beach and resorts. From serving food at a local soup kitchen, to distributing toiletries to war veterans in a hospital, and finally to visiting high school students in a nearby town, I discovered so much about Puerto Rico’s culture and the experiences of its people. The trip allowed me to volunteer outside of the community in Utica that I am used to helping, and I am glad I got a chance to make a difference in the lives of the people that were so hospitable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment